The Annual Meeting of The Midwestern Psychological Association
April 29-May 1, 2010. The 2010 Annual Meeting of The Midwestern Psychological Association Division 27: Society for Community Research and Action Chicago, IL
Call for Proposals
The Society for Community Research and Action (Division 27) encourages proposals for poster presentations, symposia, and roundtable discussions that will facilitate the exchange of innovative ideas and promote constructive dialogue on topics involving community research and action. Program proposals that emphasize active interaction among presenters, the audience, and community members and that include presenters from different university and community settings are especially encouraged. We welcome submissions that involve any area of community research and action, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Program development, implementation, dissemination and evaluation
- Contributions to the theory, methods, or practice of community research and action
- Innovations in or reflections on training in community psychology and allied disciplines
- Examples of interdisciplinary and community collaborations
- Translation of research on community practice for social action
- Poster Presentations can include results from individual research papers, descriptions of community-based programs, results from program evaluations, or other community based projects.
- Symposia offer a forum for discussion and debate of diverse perspectives as they pertain to significant issues in the field. Symposia should include 3 to 4 presentations organized around a common theme, issue or set of questions. Symposia should allow significant time for discussion and audience participation. Inclusion of community members is welcomed but not required.
- Roundtable Discussions provide a more interactive and less formal forum for dialogue. This format is appropriate for sessions that involve active discussion among panel members and audience members, and sessions in which the presenters' role is to facilitate audience exploration of an issue.
Instructions for Preparing Program Submissions
Proposals may be submitted either by email or postal mail. Submissions must be sent via email or post-marked by November 25, 2009. Please send submissions to:
Lisa Walt, Ph.D.
SCRA Midwest Regional Coordinator
Center for Community Research
990 W. Fullerton, #3100
Chicago, IL 60614
Email submissions are strongly encouraged and will be acknowledged by return email. Please type in SCRA2010 in the email subject line. Email submissions must be sent via a single attached document. If you decide to send the proposal by postal mail, please enclose three copies. You may direct inquiries to Lisa Walt, (773) 325-8229 or Student Coordinator, Abby Brown, (773) 325-4963.
The following information must be provided for a proposal to be considered complete:
- Authors: on a separate page, list names, affiliations, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses for each author in the order of authorship. It is expected that the first author will be the primary presenter. For symposia and roundtables, please also indicate session organizer(s).
- Format: poster, symposium, or roundtable [Note: students submitting posters as primary presenters and who are interested in being considered for a possible small travel award should indicate interest here by typing: poster (student travel award)]
- Title: limited to 10 words
- Abstract: limited to 200 words for overview of posters, symposia and roundtable discussions. Symposia proposals should also include descriptions of each presentation (limited to 100 words each) and roundtable discussion proposals should include descriptions of each author's contributions (limited to 25 words each).
Individuals should not submit more than 2 presentations as primary presenter. Individuals in need of special accommodations can indicate those needs on the submission(s).
Authors will be notified by email regarding acceptance by January 2010.
For more information about the MPA conference (e.g., lodging, fees, eligibility) please visit the MPA website
Thank you and see you in Chicago!
Contact Name Lisa Walt
Contact Email firstname.lastname@example.org