Reminders

Your Slate of Candidates for SCRA Offices for 2013 - Choose your leadership!

11 months ago
OfflineSCRA Web Admin
SCRA Web Admin
Dear Fellow SCRA Members:

I'm pleased to present to you the slate of candidates for the 2013 SCRA Election of Officers/Members of the Executive Committee.  We have an exceptional group of candidates, and I urge all of our members to vote.  You should have received (or will shortly receive) an email from APA (even if you're not an APA member) with a link to the ballot.  

Note that the sender of the ballot link is apaelection@intelliscaninc.net,
and the subject line is:
 Subject line: 2013 APA Division and State, Provincial and Territorial Association (SPTA) Elections - REMINDER.
If you haven't received this email, please check to see which email account is listed in your SCRA profile, and check your spam.  The ballot is specific to you - you cannot use another person's ballot.  You must be a paid member of SCRA to vote.

To inform your vote, listed below are statements from each of the candidates; these will also be posted on the SCRA website.  Note that the person elected President will become President-Elect in August, President the following year, and Past-President the following year.   The other positions are for 3-year terms.

Candidates for SCRA Offices for 2013 (listed alphabetically)

PRESIDENT

Bret Kloos

SCRA has been my professional home for more than 20 years and has nurtured me and my students.  It is an honor to be nominated to stand for SCRA President and to contribute to SCRA's capacity to foster meaningful change for members and our community partners. 

I am an Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of South Carolina and received a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.  Prior to becoming a professor, I worked as a director of a supportive housing program, an evaluation consultant, and thecoordinator of the Connecticut Self-help Network.  My current research and community practice focus on housing issues for persons with psychiatric disabilities, social inclusion, and community responses to homelessness. NIMH, NIDRR, CMHS, and HUD have funded my work. In my community practice, I collaborate with several local initiatives related to housing and homelessness. 

I have served SCRA in several capacities over the past 14 years:  1999 Biennial Local Planning Committee, Nominations Chair 2001-2005; Mutual Assistance & Self-Help Interest Group Chair 2003-2007; Task Force on Disaster, Community Readiness, and Recovery;Dissertation Award Committee 2009-2010; Council of Education Programs 2009-2011; and the Editorial Board for SCRA Book Series 2012-2014.  I have also sought opportunities to contribute to Community Psychology Scholarship and Teaching.  With Jean Hill, Elizabeth Thomas, and Abe Wandersman, I co-wrote a community psychology textbook.  With Geoffrey Nelson and José Ornelas, I am co-editing a book for the SCRA Book Series: Community Psychology and Community Mental Health: Towards Transformative Change.  With Thom Moore, I co-edited two special issues of the JCP focused on Community Psychology, Religion, and Spirituality.  With Jean Ann Linney, Beth Shinn, and Abe Wandersman, I co-edited a special issue of AJCP focused on Community Psychology and Science.

As part of the SCRA leadership during the 50th anniversary of the Swampscott Conference, I would work to integrate our past, present, and future.  Past: Collect, archive, and celebrate multiple histories of the development of community psychology to be resources for future social change efforts.  Present: There have been many exciting developments over the past five years.   Work to establish structures for better communication and collaboration among international community psychology organizations.  Create an endowment to sustain SCRA initiatives.  Promote greater linkages between practice, education, and research initiatives.  Future:  Build upon current initiatives to increase visibility of SCRA in undergraduate education, outreach to related disciplines, and interaction with policy makers.

Rhonda Lewis
Quote: "Be the Change you want to see in the world" Gandhi

I am humbled to be running for president of SCRA. I truly love our organization. The Society for Community Research and Action embodies all of the values that I live by in my personal and my professional life.
  • ·      Social justice
  • ·      Respect for human diversity
  • ·      Prevention and health promotion
  • ·      Sense of community
  • ·      Empowerment
  • ·      Community strengths and collaboration
  • ·      Empirical Grounding
 My vision for community psychology is that we renew our commitment to the organization by helping our organization grow.  I have been involved with SCRA since I was a graduate student at the University of Kansas. As a practicing community psychologist in an academic setting, I continue to serve the community and mentor both undergraduate and graduate students. I have served SCRA as the Midwest Regional Representative, SCRA Member at Large, served on the Council for Education Programs, served as chair for the Cultural and Racial Affairs Committee, chair of the Council for Education Program and created the Early Career Award to recognize young scholars.  My research team and I had the pleasure of evaluating the 12th Biennial Conference and helped transition to electronic surveys in the spirit of going green.  Thus, I would continue to serve SCRA with the same passion and dedication.
My plan is to focus on five key areas:

1. 1.    Expand our brand
  2. 2.    Increase our financial resources
  3. 4.    Build our infrastructure and internal capacity
  4. 5.    Activate our membership toward action and grassroots activism.
We need to expand the "brand" of community psychology so that when one of our great community psychologists does great work the work they do should be identified as community psychology in the media and on social media.

We need to work within our existing structure and create ways to increase our finances by investing in our membership and making investments that make our financial dollars grow.

3.  Extend our outreach and collaborate with other divisions and disciplines
We need to work collaboratively with other divisions and disciplines this will stretch our dollars and get our name out there and increase our brand.

We need to work toward building up our internal administrative staff so that we work more efficiently to help our membership grow.

We need to focus on issues that our members are passionate about and also include our global communitypsychologists to increase our relevance.

*************************************************************************************
SECRETARY

Christian Connell

My name is Christian Connell, and I am honored to be nominated as SCRA secretary. SCRA has been an important part of my professional identity since I attended  my first biennial as a University of South Carolina graduate student nearly 18 years ago. I am an Associate Professor at The Consultation Center at Yale University where I completed pre- and postdoctoral training. My scholarly and applied work focuses on improving community systems that support children and families with behavioral health needs or who have experienced maltreatment or other potentially traumatic events. I am engaged in research, evaluation, and consultation focused on these and other issues. I also am interested in the use of advanced data and research methods for community-based research and evaluation and the translation of these methods to various audiences. This is an exciting time to be a community psychologist!

Over the years, I have worked to support the SCRA mission in a variety of ways. My work on behalf of SCRA has included serving as a member of the local organizing committee for a biennial, surveying SCRA membership and organizing pre-conference methodology workshops with Anne Bogat for another biennial, and serving as an editorialboard member and reviewer for the American Journal of Community Psychology. I am also committed to training and mentoring pre- and postdoctoral fellows in community-based research and evaluation. Last year I joined the SCRA Council of Education Programs, where I have worked with other members to update the division's survey of community training programs in order to inform the membership on issues related to the training of future community psychologists. This work has been very rewarding, and I welcome the opportunity to expand my involvement with SCRA.

The role of the secretary is critical to the work of our organization. Key responsibilities include facilitating communication among members, as well as between SCRA and othergroups; documenting the work of the Executive Committee and the division; and updating the division's Policy and Procedures manual - among other responsibilities. My experiences leading research and evaluation project teams, serving as The Consultation Center's predoctoral internship training coordinator, and consulting with community stakeholders in a variety of settings have prepared me with the necessary organizational skill set to carry out these responsibilities. I also welcome the opportunity to work closely with other members of the Executive Committee to further the mission of SCRA. Thank you for your consideration.

Stephanie Reich
I am honored to be nominated for secretary of Division 27 and excited about the opportunity to support the mission of SCRA. The role of secretary is primarily focused on supporting communication and equitable policies. As such, I plan to work towards greater connections and inclusion of community researchers and practitioners from the most junior to senior, within the US and in other countries.

Since becoming a member in 2000, I have been actively involved in facilitating collaboration and connections to community psychologist throughout the world and supporting the participation and development of early career community researchers and practitioners.

While finishing my doctorate in Community Psychology at Vanderbilt University, I became concerned with SCRA's lack of connection to community researchers and practitioners in other countries. In an effort to build greater international awareness and connections, I took the lead in editing the first book on international community psychology, which brought together 63 authors from 32 countries. Following that project, I served for 3 years on the SCRA internationalization taskforce and from which developed AJCP's International Scholars' Program.

As an Associate Professor of Education and Psychology and Social Behavior at the University of California, Irvine, I am especially passionate about the development of the next generation of SCRA members. I currently serve on the SCRA Early Career taskforce, which established the early career listserve, speaker series, and pre-conference workshop and is in the process of establishing the Early Career interest group. Having recently navigated the tenure process with two small children, I am greatly concerned with how to establish work-life balance and finding ways to support junior scholars who are also parents or have strong familial responsibilities.

This is an exciting time to join the executive committee, with the added revenue of our journal contract, and I plan to identify ways to utilize these resources to reach more community researchers and practitioners in the US and other countries and enact policies that increase SCRA visibility and support our next generation of members, who are the future of SCRA.

*************************************************************************************
REGIONAL NETWORK COORDINATOR

Regina Langhout
My name is Regina Langhout and I'm an Associate Professor at UC Santa Cruz. I've been a SCRA member since 1999. I am honored to be nominated and am therefore enthusiastically running for our Regional Network Coordinator position.

I have experience with SCRA in several capacitates. I have been a Regional Coordinator for the West Region for several years. I have found this experience to be rewarding and vital for making local connections, and for talking with like-minded folks between SCRA biennial meetings and international conferences. My other experiences with SCRA include serving on the planning committee for one conference, reviewing proposals for a few SCRA conferences, and being a member of the school interventions interest group. I have attended and presented at all SCRA conferences since I joined.  All of these experiences have given me a broad view of the work and goals of SCRA.

I received my PhD from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2001. Subsequently, I was at Wesleyan University. I've been at UCSC since 2005. I study empowerment in schools and neighborhoods, usually taking a participatory action research approach, andoften integrating art in movement toward social justice. The UIUC, Wesleyan, and UCSC contexts are quite different, so I have experience in thinking about the needs of different groups when building networks, which is an importantaspect of the regional networks.

If elected, I plan to build upon Susan McMahon's (the current Regional Network Coordinator) wonderful work, supporting the US-based regions and facilitating conversations globally. In the US, I plan to help strategize around creating local networks and conversational spaces for undergraduates, graduate students, faculty, community members, and practitioners. I would like to place an emphasis on supporting and retaining early career SCRA members, and reaching out to possible new members, through these regional networks. When considering community research and action across the globe, we have much to learn from our international colleagues. With the International Regional Liaisons, I would strategize about how SCRA can workwith different regions in ways that are optimal for people within those regions.

For more about me, please visit http://people.ucsc.edu/~langhout/. Thank you for your consideration.

Michelle Schlehofer
Hello! I'm Michèle Schlehofer, and it is an honor to be nominated for the position of RegionalNetwork Coordinator. I am an assistant professor of psychology at SalisburyUniversity, a state university situated on Maryland's Eastern Shore. I have been a SCRA member since joining as a first-year graduate student in 2000.

Over the past 10 years, I have served SCRA in many ways: as National Student Representative (2001-2003); as Chair of the Committee on Women (2007-2010; Chair during 2008-2009), and, most pertinent to my nomination, as a regional coordinator, Northeast (2009-2012). In each of these roles, I have strengthened SCRA as an organization and increased the benefits of membership. For instance, while a student representative, I assisted in creating the Student Research Grant, which continues to fund pre-dissertation research today. While serving on the Committee on Women, I worked to restructure the committee to allow for greater participation among members in committee initiatives. Finally, as a Northeast Coordinator, I worked alongside fellow coordinators to develop day-long SCRA programming at the yearly conference of the Eastern Psychological Association (EPA). I also lobbied to allow SCRA voting rights within the EPA, and helped institute a SCRA social gathering at the EPA conference. I have served SCRA in many other, less formal ways over the years: as a mentor at the 2007, 2009, and 2011 biennials; on the 2007, 2009, and 2011 biennial planning committees; and by initiating the early career task force.

I am excited about the prospect of serving as Regional Network Coordinator. From my time serving as a Northeast regional coordinator, it became apparent that each region had different methods of reaching and engaging members and different needs and concerns. While some regional groups have many members, other locations areexperiencing a dearth in membership or have no regional members. If elected, I will spend my term helping to build stronger connections across regions, better-facilitate resource sharing, and to better-establish regional networks within areas that are less represented. Those who have worked with me can hopefully attest to my efficiency, my detail-oriented nature, ability to teamwork, and, perhaps most importantly, to my investment in SCRA as an organization, characteristics which make me well-suited for this position. You can find out more about me, and review my CV, at: http://faculty.salisbury.edu/~mmschlehofer/. Thanks for considering me!

MEMBER AT LARGE

Tiffeny Jimenez

I am honored to be nominated for Member-at-Large of SCRA's Executive Committee. I have been involved with the Society since 2000 as a community-based scholar. My interest in continuing to serve the Society lies in my belief that attending to the whole spectrum ofcommunity psychologists, and working together, will lead to a richer and more productive organization.

I have held various SCRA positions that have taught me much about the needs of our diverse membership and the potential of the Society to create broader cultural change. As a representative of both the Council of Education Programs and the Practice Council I worked to promote more inclusive, practice-based education programs. This work continues in my position as co-chair of a SCRA group aimed at supporting newly developed community, research and action programs.  Additionally I helped develop SCRA's Early Career Group to help meet the needs of newer community psychologists.

My research interests cover an array of community-based areas related to empowerment and collaboration for community-wide change. This work continues in my current position as a tenure-track assistant professor of Psychology at National Louis University in Chicago where I teach and mentor practice-based community psychology PhD students.

If elected, I plan to create a diverse APA Convention program inclusive of our membership, including those in government work, academics, evaluators, and other practitioners. I will also work hard to build relationships and bridge alliances across APA disciplines to support the mission and goals of SCRA to expand our reach as a Society.

Susan M. Long
I am delighted to be nominated as Member-at-Large for the SCRA program at the APA conference. I am a tenure-track assistant professor at Lake Forest College, and I have been a member of SCRA since 2005. My research interests focus on violence against women and families in poverty.

Throughout my career I have been involved in a variety of advocacy and decision-making positions. As a graduate student I served as a representative in the Community and Prevention Research Division at the University of Illinois at Chicago. As a faculty member I have served in faculty governance at my home institution, in addition to serving as a grant reviewer for the American Psychological Foundation. Since the most recent SCRA Biennial I've participated in the SCRA Early Career Group, which helps connect early career community psychologists with each other and with seasoned members of our field for support and mentorship. Taken together, these experiences highlight my ability to make connections within existing organizations to represent community psychology, voice my constituents' ideas, and to work to build new connections when the need exists.

If elected, I will represent SCRA in the APA program by highlighting our focus on linking research and practice in communities. I will push to continue educating the APA, communities, and students about SCRA. This will encourage members of APA tolook beyond the individual, work with communities by capitalizing and building on their strengths, and help train the next generation of community psychologists. Thank you for your consideration.

VOTE!!!!  Select your leadership!!!!
Concluded

0 Conclusions:

0 Replies

Would you like to comment?

You must be a member. Sign In if you are already a member.

• 482 views
  • 1 version
  • 0 replies
  • 1 follower

Post Date:
April 24, 2013
Posted By:
SCRA Web Admin

Related Content

Search this area

About this forum

• 25,608 views
    • 92 topics
    • 1 follower

General news and announcements for SCRA members.

Viewed 482 times